Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Super Smart Spellers!

Spelling has been a little different for us this year.  We did away with the "weekly" spelling tests.  We use the Orton Gillingham approach which is a multi-sensory approach to teach spelling.  Using this approach not only helps kids with spelling but also reading and writing.  I went to a week long training over the summer to learn all about the "OG" approach.  I left the training and could not wait to get started!  It opened my eyes to a whole new way of teaching reading, writing, and spelling to my students.  I have been amazed at how quickly the kids are catching on to the different rules.....and they are learning a LOT of different rules.  See if your child can share one thing they have learned about spelling.  I am really starting to see the application of these rules in their daily writing.  They are so proud when they ask me how to spell a word and I tell them to use the rules they know and sound it out.  Many times they get it correct or are very close.  I can't wait to see the growth they make over this school year.  Please continue to practice the words we send home each week.  It just helps to reinforce what we are teaching in the classroom.